19.3.06

2004-2005

Symmetry has always fascinated me, as nature provides us with so many examples. Seen from opposite, the face a living creature is symmetrical. Snowflakes are in fact perfect crystals. I believe that these forms provoke in us a sense of balance, of stability, and of well-being, and it is surely these elements which produce the sense of beauty we derive from them.

On the other hand, symmetry can also play tricks on us. We sometimes perceive two examples of a single form as being alike when in reality they are not. We can then say that their symmetry is distorted. Without being capable of determining with any degree of precision where these "imperfections" lie, we nevertheless experience their effect.

The themes I approach in my works are therefore the result of an attempt to understand the nature of symmetry and its effects. In doing so, I will perhaps begin to understand the reasons for my fascination....